Dodge weapons carriers what to look for

Fred Kember

Since you can buy just about any part of a Weapon Carrier, and lots of good repro stuff is available from the like of Midwest Military, there are no showstoppers when looking for one to buy.

In general, though, completeness. You don't really want a cab and chassis, so if it doesn't have the correct intact body, move on. It is nice, though not essential, to have the correct engine code - T202, T207, T211, T215, T214, or T223.

Canvas and tyres can be expensive, so if you were choosing between two otherwise similar trucks the one with the best canvas and tyres would save you some money.

Personally I would always buy a winch truck, rather than a plain front, but I'm sure others here would have exactly the opposite opinion.

Final thought - when looking for a Weapon Carrier, you might run across a good deal on another Dodge - Command Car, Carryall, Ambulance, Maintenance or Telephone truck - give them due consideration. A Command Car or Carryall will always sell for more money than a Weapon Carrier, but again if you buy either of those completeness is even more important as parts - original or reproduction - are rarer and more expensive.

"

Personally I would always buy a winch truck, rather than a plain front, but I'm sure others here would have exactly the opposite opinion."

- I'm one of those who think differently =)

The non winch Dodge WC is not as heavy to maneuver in confined spaces, and it's short enough to fit, lengthwise, in most modern garages. The winch weighs a "ton" and how often do you need a winch anyway...?

The non winch WC's used to be slightly cheaper to purchase, until people realized that it had other advantages.

Goran N

I am in the process of a 'slow & gradual' restoration of my WC51 and have found it to be 'mostly' a great deal of fun and enjoyment!! (not joking......really!!)

I support both Gordon and Goran in their views that they are really easy bits of kit to lookafter and restore - almost a large airfix kit if you keep a record of what bolt goes where when you take them off!!

In terms of looking out for things... there's always the usual mechanical and electrical stuff to consider as you would any vehicle - eg;- whining gear box, engine knocking, intermittent electrics, etc.... however I would strongly recommed you try and find one that has been in Norway as much of their stuff was dry stored in the post-war years and had very little use. As an example mine came from Norway and has very little 'proper' rust on it and is being sorted by a little sanding to bring to bare metal to clean up before painting.. If you find one in France for example I have seen them very rusty in the cargo compartments of the rear bed or the cap floor - which are not very big jobs, but they are more work!!!

Also.... brakes.... you will probably find that if the truck has been sitting for some time the brakes need replacing or at least 'work'. As the guys have already said, parts are very easy to get hold of and there is a cracking support network of people around the world on different forums, including HMVF who are willing to help / advise / etc...

I suppose, in the end, it depends upon what you want to spend and what condition of vehicle you are willing to go for. You could easily spend around £3k on a barn wreck needing almost complete renovation upto nearly £12k for an almost perfect example with new canvas, correct bar-grip tyres and other 'stuff' included....

Have fun looking....and enjoy...

Gareth

No Winch!! Complicated piece of extra weight. Brakes, check state of fluid. All brake parts are avilable but it can be awkward to replace some bits. There are 4 flexible pipes to check, front wheels, front axle to just under radiator and back axle. If you have vacum wipers they can be a pain so electric are preferable. Ambulances can have problems with metal moth around the windscreen frames. Otherwise very nice relaible vehilces and great fun to drive and own. Where abouts in counry are you?